Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits

The Commissioners for Taking Oaths and Affidavits Act (issued by the Province) allows Municipal Clerks and other officials to take various types of declarations, to certify documents as true copies, and to administer oaths. A Commissioner's stamp is affixed to the documents once the oath has been taken and signatures have been witnessed.

What if the document specifically requests a Notary Public?

The Municipality of Dysart et al does not offer Notary Public services. Any document that requires the signature of a Notary Public will be referred to a lawyer, as Commissioners do not possess the same signing authority and are therefore unable to sign documents requiring a Notary Public signature.  

When is the service available?

Commissioning services are provided Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and it is suggested that you call the office in advance to ensure Commissioner availability. If an appointment is not booked, the individual understands that there may not be a Commissioner available to provide the service.

Is there a cost to have documents commissioned?

Commissioning services are free for the first document and $10.00 for each document thereafter.

What is required for Certified True Copies?

All documents presented for a “true copy” must be original documents.

The actual photocopy itself may be taken by the Commissioner in order to validate that it is an actual true copy of the original.

What types of documents can be commissioned?

The Commissioner may sign documents related, but not limited to, the following:

1. Travel consent letters.

2. Pension documents.

3. Vehicle transfer forms

4. Change of ownership forms

6. Canadian Government related forms.

7. Dysart et al related documents e.g.) Planning Department

8. Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief.

9. Financial Institution forms

Clarification of the type of affidavits that will be signed can be directed to the Clerks Department. 

What do you need to bring?

Anyone requiring commissioning services must provide at least one piece of valid Canadian government issued photo identification (e.g. Current drivers licence or passport). All affidavits presented for commissioning must be the entire document and must be signed in the presence of a Commissioner. If the document has already been signed, the person will be asked to sign a second time in front of the Commissioner.

What do you need to do?

The content of all affidavits and documents are the responsibility of the person requesting the commissioning service and they must understand the details contained in the affidavits that they are attesting to and that they are swearing or affirming an oath that the details are correct.

What services are not provided?

The Commissioner is not responsible for any content of the document and does not provide legal advice, preparation or editing of affidavits, assistance, counselling or interpretation services to the testifier when completing their documents and shall not  commission documents that are in any other language(s) other than English, as the information being sworn cannot be validated.

Any questions or needed assistance in completing the affidavit document should be directed to the agency or party that has requested the form(s).

Is the  Commissioner required to sign presented documents?

It is at the discretion of the individual Commissioner whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner is uncomfortable about the identity of the person requesting the service or the content of the documents for any reason, the Commissioner may refuse to sign the document.

Contact Us

Subscribe iconSubscribe to this Page