Building Department Information

Building Permits
A building permit is formal approval from your municipality to construct, repair, alter, renovate a building or install plumbing.

Building permits allow the Municipality to protect the interests of property owners and the community as a whole. By reviewing plans before any work is done, staff can ensure that buildings comply with the local zoning by-law and its controls on buildings and uses that are suitable to the area; the Ontario Building Code, which sets standards for design, life safety issues and materials, and other health and safety regulations.

The Ontario Building Code requires that a complete building permit application for small projects and houses will be processed within 10 days. You will be advised at the time of application or within 2 business days, if the application is incomplete.

Besides building permit requirements, there are other agencies that need to be consulted during the planning and design and building process.


Building Permit Application Form
Other Related Documents
Frequently Asked Questions

Quite often homeowners, contractors, perspective buyers, etc. contact our office with questions pertaining to what can/ cannot be built on a property. We have compiled a general list of Frequently Asked Questions for a quick reference. It is important to note that even if a building permit is not required, all Zoning By-Law restrictions must be adhered to, and Septic compliance may also be a factor.

If your question is not answered within our general list, please contact the building department directly and we will be able to guide you in the right direction. 

File Search Application

Our File Search Application is to be used anytime someone is looking for information or copies of documents pertaining to historic building or septic permits. Please complete the online File Search Application and submit with payment for your request to be processed in a timely manner. 

Examples of these requests include septic installation reports, occupancy permits, copies of drawings, inspection reports, etc.

PDF Copy of Form
If you are unable to complete the online application located above, please print and fill out the application form, and submit it to the building department, with the applicable payment.
For information regarding property zoning and amendments, please visit the Planning and Land Information page.
Septic Systems
Since 2014, the Municipality of Dysart et al has been responsible for on-site sewage systems. For detailed information and related forms and procedures, please visit: Septic Systems
Entrance Permits
An entrance permit is required to install a new entrance on your property, to change the location of an existing  one, or to install a second entrance. Entrance approvals are handled by the Roads Department of the Municipality or the County of Haliburton or the Ministry of Transportation depending on which jurisdiction looks after your road maintenance. 
Civic Addressing
New civic addresses (9-1-1 numbers) for vacant lots and new entrances are acquired through the County of Haliburton Civic Addressing Department. Please contact the County of Haliburton directly for guidance.
Municipal Sewer Connection
The Municipality of Dysart et al has a sanitary sewer system in a limited portion of the town of Haliburton. To determine if your property is eligible for connection, please consult with the Public Works department; for more information on municipal services go to our Water and Sewage page. Requirements for the connection process are outlined in our Sanitary Sewer Systems By-Law.
Tree Removal
When it comes to removing trees on your property, enforcement falls under the jurisdiction of the County of Haliburton.  Please see links on the sidebar that relate to both shoreline tree preservation and the forest conservation by-law.
Electrical Permits
Electrical permits and inspections fall under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). It’s the responsibility of the homeowner or builder to contact the ESA for  proper approvals. The ESA can be reached at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233) and you can apply for a permit online at the link on the sidebar.
Building Inspector Requirements

Contact Us

Subscribe iconSubscribe to this Page