Hydro One has scheduled a planned power outage affecting much of the Haliburton Highlands for November 24, 2019 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The Emergency Management Co-ordinators for the County of Haliburton and all four Municipalities advise residents to prepare in advance for the disruption in service.
Have sufficient amount of water available for the duration of outage.
If you rely on medical equipment (home oxygen). Make sure it will function properly during the power outage or make alternate arrangements
Minimize opening refrigerator and freezer doors to maintain cool temperatures longer.
Check that you can override garage doors or leave vehicles outside.
Ensure that your vehicles have sufficient fuel as most gas stations will be closed
Ensure that your cell phone is charged. Cordless phones will not work when the power is out, so it is recommended to have at least one phone that does not require electricity to operate.
Keep cash on hand for emergency purchases
Electrically-connected smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms will not work when the power is out unless they have battery back-ups. Make sure your home has battery-operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
Use flashlights or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles or hurricane lamps. If using candles, place them in a secure holder and cover them with a glass chimney, away from children and pets.
Please exercise caution using alternative heating, cooking and backup power sources. Do not operate equipment and/or devices inside that are meant for outside use only.
Portable generators should only be used outdoors and be carefully located to ensure that exhaust fumes do not enter the home. Allow the generator to cool before refueling. Refuel the generator outside, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Store fuel for the generator in approved containers, outside the home.
Check on neighbours and friends.
Hydro One customers requiring more information can call 1-888-664-9376.
Emergency personnel will be operating as usual. If you have a medical or fire emergency, please call 9-1-1.