HOLIDAY FIRE SAFETY

Each year people suffer injury or die as a result of holiday decorations and carelessness at Christmas. Trees, lights, candles, and ornaments produce extra hazards in our homes at a time when the busy season may distract us from good safety practices. The Dysart Fire Department wants you to enjoy a safe holiday season so please follow these fire safety tips.

  1. If you buy a fresh tree, keep it in water, when the needles start to fall off and break when bent it is time to take it out. Make sure your tree does not block an exit. Never burn an old Christmas tree or decorations in a fireplace or stove. These items burn rapidly and hot and could cause a chimney fire or sparks could start a fire on your roof.
  2. When cooking be sure to have a lid handy and always stay in the kitchen.  Kitchen fires are the number one cause of residential fires in Ontario.
  3. If using candles for decorations be sure you have a sturdy holder in a location that it will not be knocked over and keep combustibles decorations away from the candle. Always blow out the candles when you leave the room.
  4. Heating fires can happen during the holidays as you keep the stove on longer and hotter than normal. Make sure the chimney has been cleaned and checked. Keep three feet clearance around a wood stove or space heater.  Always dispose of ashes in non-combustible container and outside.
  5. Any electrical cords used for decorations should be inspected and if frayed replaced. Never plug in more than three sets of lights into an extension cord and never replace a fuse with a larger one if the fuse blows.

KEEP THESE FIRE SAFETY TIPS AND HAVE A SAFE AND FIRE FREE HOLIDAY

Comments are closed.