In 2017, Dysart et al joins the rest of Canada in celebrating its 150th sesquicentennial birthday! This is going to be an exciting year with two signature events taking place to commemorate this special occasion.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSART!
On January 7, 2017 we celebrated Dysart’s 150th birthday with quite a large crowd. Many people came out to watch “Dysart 150 – The Movie” created by Kim Emmerson (see trailer below). We had an exciting show from The Fire Guy and were able to sample lots of delicious treats. Highlands Brewing debuted the “Trapper’s Ale” created specifically for this event.
While mapping out your summer adventures, plan to spend the weekend of July 7-9, 2017 in Haliburton. We will celebrate Dysart and Canada’s 150th birthdays in style! The list of events keeps growing – the schedule will be updated shortly.
Friday, July 7, 2017
- • Campfire Jam Session at the Head Lake Band Shell – Our goal is to have at least 150 people singing, playing musical instruments and enjoying the evening. To ensure that your favourite song is played/sung please submit the name of the song and artist to: firstname.lastname@example.org. A song book comprised of all the submissions will be prepared for the attendees of the campfire.
- • Pizza and beverages in the park
- • In the works is a Canadian Trivia night to follow the campfire
Saturday, July 8, 2017
- • Family picnic at Head Lake Park – bring your own lunch or purchase lunch from the various food vendors. Some treats will be provided free of charge to picnic goers.
- • Picnic games
- • Farmer’s market
- • Displays and booths depicting adventure in Haliburton County
- • Explore our Lakes – water days
- • Documentary detailing Haliburton’s history –
- • Beer tent – come taste the signature brew that Highlands Brewing is creating for Dysart’s 150th birthday
- • Saturday evening free concert: three groups will take the stage, stay tuned for their names
Sunday, July 9, 2017
- • Paddling Head Lake – bring your canoe, paddleboard, kayak or pedal boat to Head Lake and be one of 150 people paddling on the lake at the same time
- • Beach volleyball tournament
- • Food and beverages
Congratulations to Darby Bayly for creating the winning logo to represent Dysart’s 150th Celebrations!
Look at these pictures from the past, courtesy of the Haliburton Highlands Museum. During 2017 we would like to post both pictures from the past and present.