Building Department

A building permit is formal approval from your municipality to construct, repair, alter, renovate a building or install plumbing.

Building permits allow the Municipality to protect the interests of property owners and the community as a whole. By reviewing plans before any work is done, staff can ensure that buildings comply with the local zoning by-law and its controls on buildings and uses that are suitable to the area; the Ontario Building Code, which sets standards for design, life safety issues and materials, and other health and safety regulations.

The Ontario Building Code requires that a complete building permit application for small projects and houses will be processed within 10 days. You will be advised at the time of application or within 2 business days, if the application is incomplete.

Besides building permit requirements, there are other agencies that need to be consulted during the planning and design and building process.

Electrical permits and inspections fall under the jurisdiction of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA).  It’s the responsibility of the homeowner or builder to contact the ESA for  proper approvals.  The ESA can be reached at 1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233) and you can apply for a permit online at the link on the sidebar.

Prior to June 30, 2014, the Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge Health Unit was contracted by the municipality to enforce Part 8 (On-Site Sewage Systems) of the Ontario Building Code.   Starting July 1st, the Municipality of Dysart et al will now be administering Part 8 in house.  Municipal building inspectors staff have received current training and certification in preparation for this transfer and new Municipal forms relating to on-site sewage systems have been developed and can be downloaded from the side bar at the right hand side.

An entrance permit is required to install a new entrance on your property, to change the location of an existing  one, or to install a second entrance.  Entrance approvals are handled by the Roads Department of the Municipality or the County of Haliburton or the Ministry of Transportation depending on which jurisdiction looks after your road maintenance.

New civic addresses (9-1-1 numbers) for vacant lots and new entrances are acquired through the County of Haliburton Civic Addressing Department.  See the link on the sidebar to reach the County of Haliburton.

When it comes to removing trees on your property, enforcement falls under the jurisdiction of the County of Haliburton.  Please see links on the sidebar that relate to both shoreline tree preservation and the forest conservation by-law.

Please refer to the Planning and Development page for information regarding property zoning and amendments.